Under certain circumstances individuals moving to the Netherlands may bring their household goods, including their cars to the Netherlands without paying any Dutch import duties. To claim this duty exemption an application must be filed via the removal company using Customs’ AGS declaration system
To be granted an exemption from import duties, certain conditions should be met e.g.:
- The individual is moving from a country outside of the European Union to the Netherlands and will be living in the Netherlands or another country of the European Union.
- The individual has lived outside of the European Union for at least twelve consecutive months.
- The individual has owned and used the goods for at least six months and will be using these again.
- The individual imports the goods within twelve months as of taking up residency in the Netherlands or another country of the European Union.
- The individual will not be loaning, pledging, leasing out or transferring the goods within twelve months of the date on which these were imported.
The exemption does not apply to products containing alcohol, tobacco and tobacco products, commercial vehicles, non-portable materials for professional use. If a car or motorcycle is imported as part of your household goods, a separate application should be filed, including an application for exemption of luxury taxes (BPM).